Building for the Future
Construction project inspection, testing and evaluation, and consultation. Whatever your sector, our construction materials and engineering services ensure that your projects are completed to specification and compliant with all relevant regulations.
From materials testing and foundation excavation engineering to building quality inspections and municipal road testing, you can trust SGS to support your construction project every step of the way.
Conventional building material testing: Our construction materials and engineering laboratory is equipped and our staff experienced in the testing of materials used in construction. This includes a wide range of product such as binders, mortars, concretes, aggregates, metals, thermal insulation, binding materials, fiberglass, mechanical fixings, waterproofing membranes, waterproof coatings, and sealants.
Foundation soil and building foundation testing: On-site, we deploy experts to test piles and soil to identify the presence of any defects using methods including static load, high strain dynamic, low strain dynamic, ultrasonic, pore-forming quality, core drilling, dynamic/static cone penetration, and standard penetration tests.
Engineering surveys and excavation engineering monitoring: Site surveys and monitoring to ensure the construction process is under control and safe.
Curtain wall, door and window testing: To ensure the safety of buildings, and that their quality conforms to relevant standards, we can test doors, windows, curtain walls and their accessories (glass, aluminum alloy sections, and plastic steel profiles, etc.).
Municipal road testing: Materials and property testing for municipal and private road projects.
Energy saving testing: Testing of materials used in construction in our laboratory, and of structures on-site to ensure they conform to relevant quality standards.
Building energy-efficiency evaluation: Our experts review the implementation of energy conservation measures in buildings to evaluate the amount of energy saved and understand a building’s energy consumption levels.
Residential property quality inspections: Site visits by our qualified experts to verify that buildings (roughcast or fine decoration) conform to the relevant quality standards.
Indoor environmental quality testing: Site visits to ensure that the indoor environment (air and water) is safe and will present a risk of harm to the occupier.
Decorating and refurbishing materials testing: The staff at our construction materials and engineering laboratory conduct testing to identify and quantify any harmful substances in materials used to decorate and refurbish buildings.
Inspection and Assessment of existing building structure: To ensure the safety of structures, and identify any hidden dangers, we conduct inspections and prepare recommendations for any remedial works required.
Building fire & fire-fighting equipment safety inspection and assessment: Protect occupants and ensure a building meets relevant safety standards with our fire risk and fire-fighting equipment inspections and assessments.
Public health testing: Testing total plate count, water and ventilating air conditioning in the public.
About the SGS CME Laboratory
Established in 2003, our 5,000 m2 CME laboratory has extensive testing capabilities and is staffed by more than 80 well-trained, qualified and highly experienced scientists and technicians. Based in Shanghai we deliver services to projects across China. Our testing and evaluation services are available for products destined to both domestic and international markets.
Accreditations & Qualifications
To deliver the best services to the most appropriate safety and quality standards, we hold professional accreditations, certifications and assessment of qualifications, including:
- China Metrology Accreditation (CMA)
- ISO 17020 and ISO 17025 accreditation from China’s National Accreditation Service for Conformity Assessment (CNAS)
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MOHRUD) qualified construction engineering quality test institution (141 qualifications)
- Shanghai Construction Engineering Testing Institutions accredited – AT qualification (building materials, building energy conservation, foundation, main structure, interior energy saving)
- Railway engineering quality supervision and inspection, accredited seven consecutive years
- ISO 9001 certified
- Shanghai Civil Building Energy Efficiency Assessment and Energy Auditing, qualified
- China Classification Society Product Testing and Experiment Agency, approval certificate
- Engineering survey qualifications, geophysical prospecting test detection monitoring, in geotechnical engineering (Level B)
- Water conservancy engineering quality inspection certificate, concrete class Level B, geotechnical engineering Level B